What is baby massage?
Baby Massage combines ancient traditions of Indian and Swedish Massage with principles from yoga and reflexology.
The routine is taught over a 5 week period in stages beginning with the legs and feet then stomach and chest, arms, face and finally the back.
From 20 weeks old, a foetus is sensitive to movement, light and sound. It experiences massage constantly in the womb and is reassured by the continuous gentle movements and sense of containment.
Baby Massage responds to the babies continued need for touch and stimulation that it received in the womb.
• Helps a special bond develop with main carers. Teaches baby that they are loved and valued.
• Can strengthen immune system increasing resistance to disease.
• Can provide relief from colic, teething pains, constipation and congestion.
• Stimulation of the skin helps their respiratory, circulatory and gasto-intestinal systems develop.
• Develops body awareness, co-ordination, suppleness and alertness.
• Can release trauma of a difficult birth.
• Increases confidence in handling your baby.
• Increases awareness of growth and develop
• Helps you to better understand your baby’s non-verbal and verbal communications.
• Develops healthy respect for positive touching
• Brings pleasure, relaxation and enjoyment.
• Fathers who massage their babies feel more included.
5 Week rolling courses
'if you would like to join a course, please contact us on 360 1884 when we can give you details of the next available start date. Or click here to contact us»
A bottle of oil and handouts about the massage techniques will be given to all parents attending the course.
Mrs Tracey Calvert
International Association of Infant Massage